People seem to be die-hard serious about chili accompaniments. Some prefer noodles, oyster crackers, or even peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Me? I insist that there be cornbread. Since my friend, Ursa, gave me this Martha Stewart recipe for custard-filled cornbread, I can't bear to make cornbread any other way. It's insanely delicious, probably due to the ungodly amount of full-fat dairy products. But, man. It's so, so worth it! Just one bite makes me want to tap dance.
Makes 6-8 servings
1 lb coarsely ground beef
1 lb coarsely ground pork
2 tbsp oil or bacon fat
2 medium onions, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno, finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ancho chili powder
1 28 oz can whole tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste
3 chipotle peppers from a can of adobo, chopped
1 tsp oregano
1 15 oz can red kidney beans, drained
1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained
1/4 cup masa harina or cornmeal
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
salt and fresh ground pepper
Sliced green onions, Mexican crema or sour cream, shredded cheese
- Heat bacon fat or oil over medium heat. Add onion, green pepper, and jalapeno. Cook vegetables until tender - about 7-8 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cinnamon, and cumin and cook for another minute or two until garlic softens.
- Add meat and turn heat up to medium-high. While the meat cooks, break it up with a spatula. Cook until browned - about 10 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, oregano, and chipotle peppers. Simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle in masa harina and cocoa powder. Add beans. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer for an additional 20 minutes. Stirring every now and then.
- To serve, ladle chili into bowls and top with Mexican crema, shredded cheese and sliced green onions.
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 large eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 cups whole milk
1 tbsp plus 1 1/2 tsp distilled white vinegar
1 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 9-by-2" round baking pan (or cast iron skillet), and place in the oven to preheat. Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Whisk eggs and butter in large bowl. Whisk in sugar, salt, milk and vinegar. Add flour mixture, and whisk until just smooth. Stir in corn kernels.
- Transfer batter to heated pan. Pour cream onto center of batter; do not stir. Bake until pale golden brown and set, about 50 minutes. let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Serve warm.