I know two things:
1. Browned butter makes everything better.
2. Heart-shaped food is generally irresistible.
Here is a fantastic brownie recipe that embraces both of these notions. They are the best brownies I've ever made, with a shiny, crisp outer crust and chewy, chocolaty center spiked with the richness of browned butter. Make these for your sweethearts for Valentines Day. If they don't already love you, they certainly will post brownie. It's a lock.
Browned Butter Brazil Nut Brownies
Adapted from February 2011 issue of Bon Appetit
- vegetable oil or cooking spray for greasing pan
- 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 1/2 cups sugar (I used raw turbinado sugar. See note.*)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened dutch process cocoa powder
- 4 tsp water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups Brazil nuts, chopped
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)